Thursday, September 11, 2008

Making a bridge


It has been a couple of weeks since I updated this thing. Classes have started for the fall semester, and while I have been able to make some progress I haven't had the time to do much writing. The next step was making the bridge. I have a simple three step process for making the bridge. First, I start with the bridge blank. I am using bloodwood for this guitar, to match the fingerboard. I got the blank at LMI.

The second step is to cut the blank roughly to size using a coping saw, then thin the piece using the drum sander to about 0.360 inch. At this point, I lay out the saddle slot and bridge pin holes. I made a template out of 1/4 inch MDF so I can make bridges consistently.

The third step is to cut away all the wood that does not look like a bridge. OK, the process is a little more involved than that. I drill the holes for the pins, then route out the saddle slot using a 1/8 inch router bit in my drill press. I have a sliding vise that makes the process pretty easy. I used the robo-sander to sand out the 'wings' and I slope the top of the bridge slightly using the disc sander. I used a finger plane to round off the profile on the front and back of the bridge.

Bloodwood is pretty hard, and a little dense. It is easy to work, and takes a shine using sandpaper. I sanded the bridge using all the grits I have available up to 2000. Mmmmm, shiny!

No comments: