Sunday, February 28, 2010

#4 Black Walnut back

feb 2010 028

I am using an X-brace for the back (same as #3). Here I am sanding a radius into the X using my sanding dish. This one has an 18 foot radius.

 

 

feb 2010 031

 

 

 

When all the braces have been radiused (is that even a word??) I glue them onto the back on my ‘go-bar’ deck. I glue the backstrip on first and carefully cut out the spots where the braces cross it. Here is a tip for saving a little money – if you buy your top and back sets from one of the vendors listed on the right, they will be packed with some protective pieces of wood. Save these lower grade pieces and use them for things like backstrips.

All of the braces were glued on using Titebond.

feb 2010 036

Here it is after the braces are glued on. Notice the small piece of walnut glued to the top of the X brace for extra strength.

feb 2010 008

 

 

  A couple of hours with a finger plane, a chisel and some sandpaper and this back is ready to be glued on.

No comments: