Friday, March 24, 2006

Guitar #2


I started building the second guitar about a month ago. It's going to be another dreadnaught, built from the same plans as the first one. The materials will be a little different, a little higher grade than the first one.

I found all of the materials on-line, from sources found on the OLF. The soundboard will be AAA grade 'Lutz' spruce from Shane Neifer at High Mountain Tonewood. Lutz spruce is a hybrid of sitka, englemann, and white spruce that grouws in BC and Alaska. The brace wood is also Lutz spruce form Shane.

The back and sides will be made of East Indian Rosewood that I bought from Steve Roberson at Colonial Tonewoods. I also bought some mahogany for the tail and neck block from Colonial Tonewoods as well as some reverse kerfing. Above, you can see the back has been joined and is ready to be thinned. I built a jig for my router that I use to get the sides, back and top pieces near the final thickness. I use a cabinet scraper and an old #4 plane to get within 0.01inch of the final thickness and then switch to a random orbital sander with 80 grit paper to get to the final thickness.



I didn't get pictures of the side bending process, but is a picture of the sides in the dreadnaught form. You can see the heel block and the neck block have also been installed. The kerfing has also been glued on and the rims have been sanded to the final depth and profile.



Here is a shot of the top side of the rims. You can see the plywood extension on the neck block that will support the fingerboard where it extends onto the soundboard. The neck will be attached using a double-mortice and tenon joint. I will show how this particular neck joint works in the coming weeks.








No comments: