Saturday, June 06, 2009

Finishing the Neck

I wanted to add a couple of pictures of the neck. The finish has been on for a little over a month. I set it aside while I dealt with life in general. I have used Tru-Oil on the neck in the past. There is small learning curve with the stuff, and I'm getting the hang of it.

I rubbed the finish out with some 0000 steel wool and paste wax. It left a super smooth satin finish that I kind of like. I may buff it out to a gloss finish sometime in the future, but for now I'll leave it as it is.

Here is one last picture showing the whole neck. The inlays are the Mustang on the headstock and a couple of curly shapes at the 12th fret, both purchased pre-cut from from Andy DePaule. The fretboard is bloodwood from LMI, the headplate and FB binding are black walnut made from scraps left over from the back and sides.

No comments: