Saturday, September 26, 2009

Bridge, tuners and frets


The finish on this guitar was as difficult as the last one. I burned through while sanding the back more than once. Each time I sanded the finish back and started again. Same thing on the peg head. I eventually got the finish on the body right, but ran out of Tru-oil before I finished the peg head.

Rather than buying more Tru-oil, I used what I had on hand for the peg head. I used a few coats of Waterlox instead. It is a tung oil based varnish, and seems pretty close to the Tru-oil. At any rate, I like the way it turned out.

Today I spent a couple of hours on the frets and the nut. The nut is just roughed-in to the right size and approximate shape. I will finish it up after I put some strings on to see if I need to make any adjustments to the action.

The last thing I did today was install a set of gold Grover Sta-tite tuners.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, are you building guitars still? I know you're a hobby builder, but have you built guitars for anyone yet? Just curious. Thanks!

nathansthepilot@yahoo.com